Detroit – Good Things Happening!

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 in Birds | 22 Comments

Detroit Cityscape with Belle Isle Bridge-1

Back in 2011 I had a fun work project to photograph some of Detroit landmarks with an objective to make prints for the office. Boy, times have changed since then, some presenting big challenges. …. With recent positive news and good things appearing to be happening in “The D”, I’m encouraged and hopeful for Detroit! ….. Photo Editing software has also made great improvements, I’ve been enjoying reviewing and re-editing some favorites from my many photography outings to the Motor City.

Hopefully this blog of my visits to Detroit brings some fond memories to you. Enjoy!

Belle Isle was the very first stop, a great vantage of the city, especially at sunrise.
Here the warm breaking sun nicely illuminates the ren cen in sweet golden light.
Detroit Ren Cen Sunrise-1

Great light and calm weather can make for just the right conditions for images.
The Belle Isle Conservatory posed nicely! It will be interesting to see the changes and improvements to the Island now that it’s officially named……Belle Isle State Park
Detroit Belle Isle Conservatory & Reflection-1

Had to try and capture the fountain!
Good timing let me catch this guy in the chair watching it! 🙂
Detroit Belle Isle Statue Watch Fountain-1

Off to the motor city……
To me, this Ren Cen River shot paints a good positive image for the city, hopefully the new Mayor and the recently hired, no nonsense & kick ass Police Chief will bring the same.
Detroit Rennaissance Cnetr from Belle Isle B&W-1-2

These three smiling scrapper guys thought I worked for the Newspaper and shouted to me, “hey what about us” inviting me to take their picture.
Detroit Shinny Men-1

Cool structures!
Detroit-Ste.-Anne's

Detroit Fox Threatre-1

Detroit-Corner-Building

Here’s the Ambassador bridge during sunrise with it and the city skyline being backlight.
Detroit Bridge at Sunrise-1-2

Got to love Marilyn!
Detroit Marilyn-1

Perhaps an Eastland Mall remembrance for former eastside Detroit residents. I like how the buses windshield reflects different light angles and the prominent Eastland and Griswold signs.
Detroit Belle Griswald Eastland BUs-1

The recent sale of the Packard Plant Land to the Peru-based developer brings great hope for the city.  Say goodbye to this classic landmark.
Detroit Packard Plant Cross Over-1

Detroit Packard Plant -1

This cool eye catching mural is titled ….“Mano de Obra Campesina (Hand Of The Peasant Labor??) Located on the west wall of Hacienda Mexican Foods.

Detroit Mexican Village Mirral-1

Lafayette or American?
Who’s ready for “two on one, extra chili & mustard”. Note the two hot dog cooks in the windows!
Detroit Coney Islands-1

Ending with a few more of the Renaissance Center!

Detroit Rennaissance Cnetr from Belle Isle-1

Detroit Rennaissance Cnetr from Belle Isle B&W-1

Detroit Cityscape across River-1

Thanks for visiting……feedback and sharing link encouraged!!
A slideshow view of these and a few more Detroit pictures are in:
Portfolio – Detroit CityScapes Structures & Scenes
or linked here.

22 Comments

1. Jennifer Adams
    January 15, 2014

Hi Willie!! These are great pics!!! Keep up the good work!!!

• mcbad84@wowway.com
      January 16, 2014

Thanks Jennifer! It was a fun project!

2. Bill Collins
    January 15, 2014

Great shots of Detroit skyline, especially the side view of the Ren Cen with the hawk cruising overhead and kudos on the colors in the shot of skyline from Canada.

• mcbad84@wowway.com
      January 16, 2014

Thanks for the nice comments. Note the colorfull skyline shot was taken from Belle Isle, also I wish I had a cool hawk in that picture, it’s a crow!

3. Kelvin
    January 15, 2014

Superb images Willie, and the “ren cen in sweet golden light” was my favourite.

Kelvin

• mcbad84@wowway.com

Hey Kelvin,
      Always enjoy your comments, great to have someone looking from the other side of the pond. Thanks much!

4. tim
    January 15, 2014

great pictures

• mcbad84@wowway.com
      January 16, 2014

Thanks Tim, Keep me posted on any cool sightings you have.

5. Cathy Carroll

Hi Willie,

Love, love, love this. My favorite city and many photos from my favorite park ! Thanks for posting. Love the blog, too.

• mcbad84@wowway.com

Hey Cathy,
      Great to hear from you! Nice to post and get super feedback on what some folks are so passionate about. Thanks !!

6. john
    January 16, 2014

Thank God that we have a new State Park to look forward to and an end to the state of disrepair.

• mcbad84@wowway.com
      January 16, 2014

Yes, good things happening.

7. Jerry La Clair
    January 16, 2014

Great Job Bubba!! You really make Detroit look good.

• mcbad84@wowway.com
      January 16, 2014

Thanks Jerry, I’m hopeful the turn around gathers steam!!

8. Steve
    January 16, 2014

Great Job presenting the “motor City” ! That golden morning light you captured is awesome! You should hit some of the car shows in the summer to provide some images of the products that put Detriot on the map. Another blog topic perhaps? Call me I’m in……….

Best Regards
    Steve

9. mcbad84@wowway.com
    January 16, 2014

Great idea, some Detroit muscle, I like, Thanks!

10. Dan McHale

AWESOME OTTER SPOTTER!!!

• mcbad84@wowway.com
      January 20, 2014

Thanks BD!

11. Michael G Bartz
    January 17, 2014

Willie-Tremendous photos (as always) and spectacular views of a once-beautiful city that should give us all hope and encouragement for a successful comeback of the “Big D”!!! Thanks for sharing, Michael

• mcbad84@wowway.com
      January 20, 2014

GO Detroit, Thanks Mike!

12. Kate
    January 20, 2014

Omg! These are absolutely beautiful. I enjoyed visiting Motown from afar.

• mcbad84@wowway.com
      January 20, 2014

Glad you could make the visit!! 🙂 Thanks!